MRT Virtual Start, New Standard for Repairing Seagate Hard Drives
It may be necessary to short-circuit in the process of repairing a Seagate hard drive. The so called short-circuit is to short circuit two specific contact points on the PCB board, aiming to make the disk has the access to enter T-level, so that we can continue to fix it then.
When a hard drive starts up, firmwares within PCB board will run first, then starts the platter, and firmwares within platter will be loaded to memory. If firmwares within PCB board are good while firmwares within platter are with problems, hard drive will show malfunctions after the platter starts up. And short circuit is suitable for such a situation like this. The principle of short-circuit is to short circuit head amplifier or motor servo mechanism, so that hard drive can not lead wrong firmwares into memory, firmwares may skip this step, and that problematic firmwares no longer works. Then hard drive won’t report error and can be stably stabilized at terminal T level, and make the following repair work can be performed.
It is very important to master short-circuit skills for repairing Seagate hard drives. For different types of hard drives, we need to use appropriate short circuit method and short at the correct time. Whether to short circuit the motor or short circuit the head amplifier; Whether to short circuit before powering on or short circuit after powering on, or power on first, short circuit at a certain moment, and then remove short-circuit…, all these need a lot of practice and experience. Therefore, under normal circumstances, manual short circuit with tweezers is extremely difficult, inappropriate short time and short-circuit contact will both lead to a short-circuit failure. Moreover, short-circuit points corresponding to different types of hard drives are also different. Only you are very familiar with those short-circuit points, then might it be possible to short-circuit successfully. In summary, short-circuit is a feasible method for repairing Seagate hard drives, but the success rate is low and the time consumption is high. If an operation error occurs during the process of short-circuit, heads of hard drive may be directly uncontrolled, hits on head limiting stopper might cause damage to heads, scratches on platters, or even fatal damage to the hard drive.
MRT Lab deeply understands the inconvenience of manually short-circuit of Seagate hard drives in the processes of data recovery and disk repair. Last year, we launched the unique “virtual start” function in the industry, which can make the unresponsive hard drive get access to terminal T level without manual short-circuit.
In virtual start function, there are several Patch options when downloading virtual boot resources, please see the following pic:
Patch functions in virtual start is just like using tweezers to short circuit, it can help the hard drive to skip these errors, so that hard drive can be ready normally and can reach to a status which can normally read and write sys files. For different hard drive failures, we can select corresponding patch options to fix. The followings are descriptions on each Patch option and their application situations:
1. SerialPort-unlock option is mainly for Seagate hard drives with firmware locks. Send commands under Seagate diagnostic mode, terminal will print Diagnostic Port Locked, sent commands could not be executed normally, this option is applicable at this time.
2. Patch_BUSY_NoHostFIS-ReadyStatusFlags option is mainly for Seagate hard drives with no ready status in SATA after terminal printing No HOST FIS-ReadyStatusFlags, this option is applicable at this time.
3. Patch_BUSY_ProcessRWErrorWrite option is mainly for Seagate hard drive cyclically prints ProcessRWError-Write- at LBA xxxx Sense Code=xxxx in terminal, along with no ready status in SATA, this option is applicable at this time.
4. Patch_LED_LPC_Disc_Xfr:EXCEPTION:ProcessRWError option is mainly for Seagate hard drive prints LPC Disc Xfr: EXCEPTION: ProcessRWError: Status = x in terminal, then print LED error, along with no ready status in SATA, this option is applicable at this time.
5. Patch_DWF option is mainly for Seagate hard drives, whose DWF error light will on after receiving any SATA command, this option is applicable at this time.
6. Patch_ERR option is mainly for Seagate hard drives, whose ERR error light will on after receiving any SATA command, this optioin is applicable at this time.
7. Patch_ERR_WriteLDR option is mainly for families of ID81,87,8C,A5 of Seagate hard drives, when writing LDR file via ATA, ERR in SATA causes writing failure, this option is applicable at this time.
Specifically, we can try virtual start when we encounter the following problems.
(1) SA is formatted by mistake and the drive breaks down. You can use the virtual start function and write firmware back. As is known that it is not possible to recovery DM triangle series or LM series of Seagate drives if the firmware is formatted. Now the MRT virtual start is the only solution for this problem.
(2) The drive couldn’t operate any commands nor enter T level. We used to use short circuit to solve it, which often fails. Now users can try virtual start. If it is successful, the drive will be able to enter T level.
(3) Fake readiness. The drive seems ready but could not operate any commands, the capacity is shown as 3.86GB, and users could not get access to user data. If virtual start succeeds, the drive will be truly ready.
Previously, we can support the the virtual start of DM series, refer to manuals of:
Now, more and more series can be supported to execute virtual start, and here we like to demonstrate the process of LM series’ virtual start, such a series, if it can not get access to terminal T-level, previously, the only method is short-circuit; and if the short-circuit is not successful, then there is no way to repair. But now, we can use virtual start to repair, here is the demo video:
Brief operating steps are listed below, please follow the sequence:
1. Back up ROM, LDR, module 3D and other modules; and if some resources can not be backed up, you can try to backup from a same model donor hard drive.
2. Load backuped ROM, create virtual boot and write virtual boot.
3. Power off and on, then exchange commands.
4. Load module 3D and try to patch one by one.
5. When disk is ready, load LDR.
6. Write the backup of modules and SA ABA.
7. When the write is done, the case is done.
From the above we can see that the unique virtual start function of MRT Seagate utility is very powerful to repair Seagate malfunctions, and it’ll definitely subvert previous Seagate repair methods. Time is changing, MRT virtual start will surely be the leader, creating a new standard for repairing Seagate hard drives!